Re: national finals

Colin

Having read your reply you have obviously not changed in all those years.
You had no idea then and you obviously had no idea now.
"Stability" has always been my middle name no matter who I've played for
(Black Dyke, Desford, Cory and currently Travelsphere to name but a few).
Though I have never claimed to be the greatest percussionist who has ever
lived I think that with that experience alone I can say without question I
know more about bands and make up of percussion within brass bands than you
can ever hope to fathom.  Like most people in the Salvation Army at that
time you could not recognise talented young people and as a consequence the
SA have lost out on a great many musicians.  However as I recall you could
not make out the difference between a timpani head and a turtle head.

To make an opinion on a piece of music before you have even listened (in
your case) to it, or to make a comment about the make up of what the
composer has written into the piece is profound.  If you know any of Jan van
der Roost's music (and quite clearly you don't) then you would know that his
writing of percussion parts is intended to colour the music.  "Stonehenge"
is a superb piece of band music which is rarely played.  But the structure
and colour of the piece is fantastic; and that is for the whole band not
just the percussion.

Personally I am pleased to see someone else being commissioned to write a
National Test Piece.  With all due respect to Wilby, Sparke, Graham etc. who
have all written some cracking pieces lately we need new music and I wait
with anticipation for this piece that I will be playing along with the rest
of my Band at the Royal Albert Hall in October.

So sorry that you will not be there; to see percussionists play more than
one instrument may come as a bit of a shock to you!!!!!!

Brendan J. Rayner
Travelsphere Holidays Band
Midalnd Area Champions and
National Finalists 2001