Salvation Army Banding

Michelle

I think you have missed the point here.

It is a well documented fact that a lot of players in banding these days
are ex-Salvationist bandsmen/women.  Our band at Travelsphere (GUS) is
made up with half of us former Salvationist Bandsmen.  It begs the
question why?  Well I guess we all have our individual reasons why we
are all ex-Salvationists.

However my point to Colin was that the attitude he took with me is the
very same attitude now as ten to fifteen years ago when I was a teenager
along with many of my peers.  That type of attitude from people like him
is what drove many youngsters away from the Army, to the Army's
detriment.  In my teenage years there was not that much to keep us
interested in the Army but the band.  Sure there were the Christian
beliefs but not alot more for those of my age.  I stuck it out until I
was 22 but many did not get that far.

Please don't get me wrong I am not belitterating the Army.  It is a
great organisation and I still have family and friends involved.  I have
even been known to visit once in a while and I have seen that in some
respects the Army has changed for the better.  But think of all those
people, musicians and non- musicians the Army has lost in that time no
thanks to people with the apparent attitude like Colin's.

We play for different reasons to Army bandsmen/women sure.  But one must
never lose sight that in any band, competing or SA, the youngsters are
what is going to be the future of that organisation and should be
encouraged in every way.

No offence intended; I hope that clears up the point.

Regards.

Brendan J. Rayner
Percussionist with
Travelsphere Holidays Band