RE: national finals, but it's moved on to god.

As an ex-Salvationist, ex-christian type I guess that
I can sympathise with the points mentioned in Pat's
mail... but just to stick my oar in...

1) There is nothing better than starting off a band
rehearsal with a couple of hymn tunes, as they are
mid-range, of varying dynamics, and are usually using
basic harmonies, which obviously help the band's
intonation. This has absolutely nothing with religion,
they're just good tunes, and good exercises.

2) Bands play in church services and on the streets at
Christmas to make money, not neccesarily to praise
God.

3) Historically, of course there is loads of music out
there that was written in praise (and also in fear) of
God. However, don't forget that the church was
certainly the most prolific commissioners of new music
between the 15th and 19th Centuries. (They were the
only guys, apart from royalty who had any cash!)
Surely not all of these composers (Bach, Mozart,
Gounod, Verdi, Monteverdi, Gabrielli, to name but a
few) were devout Christians all the way through their
lives.. it's just not likely. What is more likely is
that they took the money and ran... don't forget that
Bach's B minor mass, the Christmas Oratorio, and the
St Matthew Passion are all mixtures of movements from
his secular cantatas, and he nicked the words from the
Bible!

Of course this may seem like a particularly synical
point of view.. and perhaps it is. It does strike me
as being a bit strange that all of these composers
were so devoutly religious. I have got a soul, and I
do feel inspired by listening to / performing such
terrific music... I'm just not in awe of God. Having
played the B minor, and many other sacred works in
some fantastic settings, including the Cologne
Cathdral, and St Marks in Venice, I can't say that I
felt "touched" by God, but I certainly did feel
inspired by what human beings actually have the
ability to do.....

Having said all this... I'm sure that I could write an
inspiring religious work for band if I was asked to...
anyone want to stump up the commision?

Steve Bailey