RE: national finals, but it's moved on to god.

However, don't forget that the church was
> certainly the most prolific commissioners of new
> music  between the 15th and 19th Centuries. (They
were the only guys, apart from royalty who had any
cash!)
> Surely not all of these composers (Bach, Mozart,
> Gounod, Verdi, Monteverdi, Gabrielli, to name but a
> few) were devout Christians all the way through
> their
> lives.. it's just not likely. What is more likely is
> that they took the money and ran...

Very true. I think you'll find this financial aspect
also applies to the architects that built the great
churches, artists that created
great statues and paintings on religious themes, all
the way down to the guy that sweeps up and puts out
the bins! :) If you wanted a piece of music, statue,
or building to reflect the majesty of God, the power
of your country, whatever, you hire the best to
perform that task, not necessarily the most religious
or patriotic. No matter how devout Mrs Jones across
the street is, I'd still rather have Michelangelo
paint my ceiling, thank you very much! :)

What a piece of music means to you is a very personal
thing, as is the reason why we play in bands.  The
point I was trying to make is that
there are various topics discussed on this list. Not
all of interest to everyone, but all have a right to
be there if part of a sensible and mature
discussion.My submission was in reponse to an email
that said roughly "is this a God list or a brass band
list". For
some people it's related, others not. My problem is
that on more than one occasion we've had emails
"shooting down" topics, including in the past
discussions on instruments and music, which I would
expect on a brass band list!. For some it seems unless

it's to do with the latest test piece or last contest,
why even discuss it? I missed earlier emails, (that
delete button again!:) ) so I have missed what seems
to have been a "heated" discussion, which Nigel has
put an end to. My comments are based solely on the
"torpedo mail"!

I am not a religious person, nor have religious
reasons for playing, but whether a devout member of a
church or not, there is a religious element to bands
in that we facilitate religious celebrations. (I'm not
necessarily talking about belief.), hence valid topic
for dicussion, whether that be what "playing for God"
means to you, or whats a good arrangement of a hymn to
play at the next service.

Pat

(Page 7 of this weeks British Bandsman anyone? "Stop
this nonsense: Whit Friday is first and foremost a
religious celebration":) )