Re: perfect pitch

I attended a university seminar a number of years ago held by a fellow who
had written a book on Perfect Pitch.  The name of the book escapes me at the
moment, though I do have a copy somewhere in the house.  Essentially the
book taught how to attain perfect pitch (and explained what it was etc.,).
Extremely fascinating as in the lecture we were ultimately able to
distinguish the subtle qualities (pitches) of notes within a couple of hours
of experimentation.

Perfect Pitch was described simply as a 'refined sense of hearing'.  Not a
gift as much as an ability to filter out noise and concentrate on the
specific tonal/timbral/overtone qualities of each individual note as it
vibrates the air.  With practice it can be acquired (though I caution that
it can drive one a little over the edge).

We have a chap in the band who is so good at this I'm sure he could tune a
car door.  Another chap that was in the band had perfect pitch but slightly
above A440 (could tell you exactly what note and always played perfectly in
tune but a bit on the high side <grew up in high pitch era).

I'll look out the book and put the author/ISBN number up on the list when I
locate it.

Robin McCubbin
Weston Silver Band
Toronto, Canada