Re: Perfect Pitch

In my 38 years in banding and having had professional aural training at music college, albeit 27 years ago I have only ever known three people with perfect pitch and they were all born with this gift.
My ears are very good and with training I believe  your pitching and tuning ability can improve but to suddenly decide you have this gift is difficult to comprehend.
I totally agree with Simon Applegate's comments on this subject.
I have the ability to play short pieces i.e. Marches and Solos without music, from memory after a couple of run throughs and has got stronger with experience but I have always had this gift and I can't explain it, some people call this a photographic memory but I can't do it reading text.
If one could do this then one would have the accolade of being the brainchid of the world.
The professor of conducting at my music college whose name slips my mind (see not perfect) had this gift and could tell a second cornet playing a wrong note in a demisemiquaver passage at speed amongst a very busy passage for the band. This is good for teaching purposes but, I for one am glad I do not possess this gift because every piece that I listened to would be a nightmare so, for all those people with this gift I offer my commiserations. I am happy the way my ears are and so be it.
Just a thought, what about instruments being in perfect pitch? That's a different subject of which we could talk about forever and never come to a conclusion. What's your thoughts listees?

Cheers
Dave Mildren
Euphonium Soloist/Arranger/Conductor
Jersey