Re: perfect pitch

Just to add my comments.

The ability to play from memory (after reading the music) and having perfect
pitch are two completely different things.

Playing a tune "by ear" (without music), as in picking a tune, picking a
starting note and playing the melody probably indicates that you have good
relative pitch. i.e. you know the tune, you play the tune getting all
intervals required from the your chosen starting note accurately.  I have
always been surprised at the number of competent players who cannot do this.
The can only play what they have "read" or memorised.

I have been told by some that I have extremly good relative pitch.  I miss
out on the perfect pitch spot because in the world of brass bands we aren't
at concert pitch. i.e hear a note , say oh.. that's  a B natural, to find
its an A concert pitch, doh! wrong answer!!   I think that this pitching
ability has helped me in that I can swap from trumpets in Bb,Eb,D or
Piccolo Trumpet in A and not have any trouble with pitching notes.

David Quinlan
Soprano Cornet : Manx Concert Brass
Ex-Principal Trumpet : National Youth Orchestra of Ireland