re: perfect pitch

Thanks to all who replied, there are some interesting theories developing in
my head now!
To put a few things straight: I'm pretty sure I have perfect pitch. I can
sing pretty much most things I know the notes to before I hear them,
including Cori! As for tuning, I have several tapes which play a little bit
slow, and therefore about a quarter tone flat, and I can tell because it
sounds pretty nasty to me!
Take up Sop cornet? I tried to, and found it very useful when trying to
pitch - I just thought it up a fourth, but I just couldn't get the range and
couldn't really be bothered to develop it! Besides theres only one sop seat
in the band, and nine Bb ones, and that makes getting into a better band far
easier!
Gordon's comments are interesting - I probably have picked it up from a very
very musical childhood, fortunately most of it was pretty much in tune! I'm
pretty sure I've had it for ages, but just didn't know anything about it
until now presuming it was the same for everyone else. One more Q - so how
many people on this list have perfect pitch then (or think they have)?
Sorry - another two Qs- So I presume that people without pp can't tune a
timp from ear? It's useful - boing boing boing finished! No running between
xylo and timp to tune! For those of you wondering I've dabbled on perc too.
Second: Can people with relative pitch write music without a piano? I was
watching some documentary that said that Duke Ellington was always penning
stuff anywhere and everywhere - on trains, in the bath, outside recording
studios etc. I can write melodies but not chords- is that because I've not
really played any chordal intruments? Probably.
Anyway, thanks for all the responses, it's been very useful. With regards to
my finger I'm not too bothered - it's not huge and not painful and is just a
bit of toughned skin - more useful than anything else. No excuse for not
realising that I could have attached something to my finger not the cornet
though! IQ of a cabbage! Anyway, thanks,
Nick