Re: Perfect Pitch

I have been reading this thread and have yet to see anyone say they have
relative pitch. From what I remember from music school, relative pitch is
the ability to sing / hear intervals from a given starting pitch. I have at
times felt that I have perfect pitch, but I'm pretty sure it is just good
relative pitch, that I have acquired from years of playing / teaching. Give
me a starting note and I can sing a melody. I can sometimes pick up that
starting note, and I feel that comes from years of playing. I can sing a Bb
right now, and it will be close, but not totally accurate.

Perhaps the most beneficial music class I ever took was ear training, where
we had to sight sing. It really turned my ears on and made me listen very
intently to every note I play. And that sure helps while playing the
trombone, basically a large tuning slide.

Just my two cents.

Rob Barnes
Illinois Brass Band