Re: perfect pitch

Mark Tarry wrote:
"I heard it said somewhere (can't remember where) that people with true
perfect pitch find it extremely painfull on the ear (not sure in what way)
to play in a Brass Band, something to do with the tuning generally being all
over the place?

any truth in it?"

I sang in a chamber choir at university. Half the choir were extremely
talented musicians, and many had perfect pitch.  The rest of us were just
competent "shovellers". We were performing a piece which was unaccompanied,
and had short solo voice linking passages between each bit.  One of the
soloists got to his bit, and sang it a semitone or so too high. I didn't
notice anything had gone wrong, and just got on with it, but the poor
talented perfect-pitching musicians were completely stuffed! We had a rocky
couple of moments before they recovered their composure!  So I don't know if
it's painful, but it's certainly a liability to have perfect pitch!

Apologies for using a non-brass band example, but you did ask!

Jud