Thanks, Nigel...

Dear list, the following is unabashed praise for Nigel, our hard working
list master, and his music. Nigel visited our band in Ottawa, Canada, a few
weeks ago and shared some of his music with us. We had a great time
together, both during and after rehearsal.

Hal Floysvik
EEb bass, Maple Leaf Brass band
Ottawa, Canada.

Nigel, thanks for sharing your music with the Maple Leaf Brass Band on your
recent visit across the big pond. I'm glad you noticed a difference in our
sound and playing ability since the last time you sat in with us. It is nice
to have a professional outside opinion occasionally. By the way, I don't
know if anyone mentioned it to you but that night you were with us, all the
pieces we played, including yours, had their composers or arrangers in
attendance. A rare experience for any band, I'm sure.

We continue to be delighted by the three works you shared with us. I hope
you don't mind if I share some of our impressions with the rest of the list
members.

Firstly, Smaoinich ... etc. (great piece but it really needs a subtitle for
those who don't speak Gaelic!!!) What a great Flugel solo. The first eight
bars of unaccompanied flugel is incredibly wistful and haunting. Does a
fantastic job of setting up the rest of the piece More like this one,
please!

O Worship the King.  Rapidly becoming an all time favourite with MLBB,
particularly the last 3 parts: Gigue, Allegro, and Largo. We've got the
gigue up to a decent speed now; sounds very Celtic. The allegro does a nice
job of setting the stage for the largo with its 32 bars of cresc. from ppp
to fff. A lovely, intense, profound passage; the band's concentration on
getting this part right is palpable. We find ourselves getting an almost
bell-like effect during the last 12  or so bars. I usually take the final
F-conc. (Eeb bass) down  an octave to give the end a fine organ-like finish.
An interesting competition-grade piece (what level would you say?), this
would be fine for concert use, especially in a church.

When We're Apart.  Nice duet for Euphs though we've been using Euph and
Baritone. Haven't put as much time in on this one yet, but it is a lovely
addition to our solo repertoire.

That's about it for now. Thanks again, Nigel.