Re: Early Brass Ensemble Music

Craig wrote:

> I am looking for some original compositions written specifically for brass
> ensemble, of any combination for an A-Level music study. However, the
piece
> has to have been written between 1700-1850. Arrangements of pieces are no
> good I've been told. Were there any such decent pieces about that anyone
> knows of? I expect they might involve ophicleides and all sorts of
developing
> stuff.

Why have you chosen/been given such a difficult period to study?  I'd fight
to change the dates first, as the classical brass ensemble repertoire is a
slim volume and unlikely to be especially fulfilling...

The two pieces which spring to my mind first are Beethoven's 'Three Equali
for Four Trombones', and from much earlier (possibly before 1700 - I'll have
to check) the Altenburg 'Concerto for Seven Trumpets and Timpani'.  There's
a similar work by Biber and a fair number of horn trios and quartets too.

Ironically, although there were brass bands between 1830 and 1850, their
repertoire seems to have comprised entirely arrangements of operatic music
and popular dance tunes of the day, so the 'no arrangements' rule shows a
lack of understanding of the genre.  In the 1850's cheap, quality
instruments became available and so the explosion in the number of bands
began, leading ultimately to the development of original repertoire.  If you
want to follow this up, contact Trevor Herbert at the OU.

Do you have access to Grove Online at school?  If not I'll run a search for
you next time I'm in College...

Cheers

David