Re: Edrich Siebert

Leighton McKay wrote:

> I have been catalogueing our library at the momoent and have come across
the
> composer/arranger, Edrich Siebert. Our band seems to have quite a few of
his
> pieces and was wondering if anybody out there can tell me anything about
him
> and his music.

This is from memory so I won't be surprised if lots of people jump in to
correct me:

Edrich Siebert was a pen name used extensively by Dennis (?) Smith-Masters.
He lived in Egham, Surrey until his death some 15 years ago.

Most of his arrangements were unashamedly aimed at lower section bands and
he often simplified pieces (by modifying them melodically, rhythmically and
harmonically) to a level that we don't always find acceptable today.  But he
should be remembered for introducing a lot of lighter/pop music into bands'
repertoire in an accessible form.  He also arranged a couple of test pieces:
The Accursed Huntsman of Ceasar Franck and Verdi's Sicilian Vespers.

He wrote a book on Scoring for BB which is still available (from Amazon via
The Harrogate Band's website, for example!).

Hope this is helpful...

David