copyright, web sites

Specifically, does anyone have any information to offer me on the
legalities of including some examples of our band on a web site. I
know the issues are probably different on my side of the Atlantic
than on many of the listees but all help is appreciated.

Can you do short samples without stepping on rights?
Are there any BB arrangements that are clearly in the public domain
AND still in the active repertoire?

We're getting ready to release a CD and I know the rights to the
original arrangements need to be cleared for that but after reading
about a hundred pages on CW law I'm more confused than I was to
start. No wonder lawyers/solicitors get paid so much!!!

Once the arranger has clearance to publish/record the arrangements
can he give us rights to put the music in part or in toto on our site?

This may be to tedious for a thread so you are VERY welcome to email
me directly. If I glean any good info I'll feed it back digested a
bit.