Re: Powerpoint presentations

Dear Leighton,

My brother's band - Redbridge Brass - have used Powerpoint presentations to
great effect during their themed concerts for the last two halloweens .....
Scary Brass and Scary Brass, The Resurrection!

It offered a great 'Introduction' panel whilst the audience came in, and
during the interval.  It added a bit of atmosphere for the more serious
pieces, and added a bit of humour with witches flying across the screen and
ghosts appearing from nowhere, for the lighter pieces.  It also offered
opportunities to plug the raffle and CD sales etc.

The theatre where the concerts took place were very helpful in hooking
everything up, but we had to provide all the equipment.  First bit of advice
... make sure you know which way the data projecter projects ... if it's a
front projection only, but you can only position it behind the screen (eg.
due to stage space) there's a chance that any text you use may be back to
front!

Anyone attempting to do more than just put up pictures of their band or
words to songs (ie, use the slide build and slide transition utilities in
the application) should be aware that it can be very hard work to produce a
presentation with relevance or interest for the duration of a whole concert
..... I know, because it was me who got conned in to producing the
presentations for the two concerts mentioned above!  I think the final
number of slides for each concert totalled about 300, and most of those had
between 5 and 10 internal builds!!  But it's a great feeling when it all
comes together .... a bit like the sense of achievement if the cannons go
off at the right time in the 1812 Overture!!

My main piece of advice is check, double check and triple check your content
..... especially if there are last minute changes to the order of pieces in
the programme - just as it can enhance the entertainment value in a concert
.... if you've got completely the wrong set of slides for the piece being
played it can detract from the performance and confuse the audience ..... so
if there's a last minute rehearsal, make sure you are there and practising
with the presentation!

My last bit of advice is, don't make too much happen or too many things move
on the screen.  It can destract the audience (and the conductor for that
matter).  The majority of the slides generated by myself  were used during
links between pieces or during very loud, busy sections of music ....
nothing moved during solos or slow, reflective pieces.  In fact, you can do
some really 'arty' things with colour panels dissolving into each other etc.
which just enhances the mood of the piece.

One other excellent plus of using Powerpoint presentations is that you can
sell 'advertising space' to local businesses.  The great ploy when
negotiating with the businesses is that you can guarantee everyone in the
audience will see their advert, whereas a programme entry will only be seen
by those who buy one or take the trouble to read the programme all the way
through!

If you need any more advice about putting a presentation together, please
feel free to contact me off list.

Hope this helps,

CLAIR TOMALIN
Flugel
Clacton-On-Sea Co-Operative Band and Wuss Brass