Re: Re: 2002 area test pieces

See my other post - I'm not sure which of two pieces it is (though I
think it's the one in concert pitch Bb minor), but I believe it was
originally written for a brass quintet (not sure of exact
instrumentation - only edition I've seen is for Two Trumpets, F Horn,
Trombone, and Tuba). Ewald was a Russian composer of the late 19th/early
20th century (again, off the top of my head; information not
guaranteed!); he submitted this work in a composing competition, for
which Tchaikovsky was one of the judges - he absolutely hated it! Which
is quite possibly a recommendation, given Tchaikovsky's reactions to
composers such as Brahms ('talentless').

The piece itself (assuming I'm talking about the right one) is in three
movements, and lasts between 10 and 15 minutes. The first is gentle and
reflective (though not turgid), and contains an excited Piu mosso about
halfway through. I'd guess that the first couple of bars will be scored
for basses in octaves, and will present tuning difficulties to most
bands. The second movement is a sentimental adagio (slow 5/4) with a
much quicker 5/4 section in the middle. The final movement is faster
(though not overly so) in 4/4.

I'm intrigued as to how successfully this has been expanded for full
band; I'd always thought of it very much as chamber music in a
definitely romantic idiom - almost suitable for a small string ensemble.
There's plenty of room for 'expressive' playing, but practically none, I
would imagine, for razzing your head off, even at the end. It's not my
section, but I'll be taking an interest in this for sure - one of the
more unusual choices of Area pieces.

Even if I've got the wrong piece of the two I'm sure it's one of, the
stylistic comments still apply, and the format approach is not too
different.

Dave Taylor