Steve Sykes @ EABBA training course

Hi fellow listees,

Thought you'd want to know more about what Steve Sykes is up to.

He was lecturing at the East Anglia Brass Band Association training course
in Norwich (UK) yesterday, along with principal cornet of Grimethorpe.
He's also doing a lot of arranging for brass bands, as was evident when we
played four arrangements of his;
1.	Angels, the Robbie Williams song
2.	Fanfare of the Charioteers (from Wagner, I think),
3.	A march which I cannot remember, and
4.	A James Last piece, which sounded more like Vaughan Williams, "On a
Cornish Morning"

He taught us a few things and did some great demos, like circular breathing:
*	Think of it like this. You can spurt water out of your mouth while
still breathing
*	'Tis the same process.
*	Check it out in your morning mouthwash!  :-)
*	Best of luck with this one!!!

Also demo'd his non-pressure high-note production, just buzzing with tight
lips.
And just to prove he didn't "sing" the note...he buzzed without mouthpiece,
then put the Eb to his lips & there was the super-C
(Yes "C" above top-C)

And he recalled an anecdote about Maynard Ferguson, IMHO the greatest
top-note trumpeter of all time.
Maynard was due to play a concert with some music students.
They were all warming-up, students in a side practice-room and MF in his
dressing room.
The students were going through their low-note exercises and were astonished
when they heard MF screeching super-high notes out of his trumpet.
So the students go to their tutor and say, "You taught us to practice low
notes as a warm-up, surely MF's doing it all wrong"
So the tutor shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I don't know, why don't you
ask him?"
Then students trundle off to MF's room and knock on his door.
MF answers and the students ask him, "Sorry to disrupt your warm-up but we
need to ask you why when we've been taught to practice low notes as a
warm-up, you are blasting out these super-high notes, surely you'll wear
your lip out"
"Guys", MF replies, "they ARE my low notes"

Finally you can order his CD "Sykology" via his mail address
sykotuba@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sykotuba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
which has many tracks which you will enjoy and be amazed by.

Best regards to you all,
Gareth Joice

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.