Re: Making a cd

My band, Sherborne Town Band, has a CD which sells reasonably
well.  It is basically a concert programme type CD, but we are
working on 2 more :- a Christmas music CD, and another (format
to be decided).

For the first one we used a professional sound engineer, who
spent an entire weekend at the bandroom, and the whole thing was
a very exhausting time for the band.

For the next 2 we will be using my portable 12 track recording
studio (Akai DPS 12i).  As we are not relying on an engineer's
time, we will be able to record one or perhaps 2 tracks at each
rehearsal over a long period.  This has 2 benefits: 1, we can
spend as much rehearsal time as we need *at the time of
recording* and 2, no extended period of play means that the last
track will be as fresh as the first.

Once recorded the hard part begins, and the mix down (to PC)
will take a long time.  Even after that there will have to be
some mastering (Sound Forge from Sonic Foundry is fantastic) and
then CDs burnt on the PC.

Total cost per CD for production (including an insert in colour,
and sticky label on the CD in colour, CD itself and a case) is
approx.  3 - 4.  It may be cheaper to produce one master CD
from which sales CDs can be pressed, but then you're into large
volume to make it viable.  Our way, we can produce 1 at a time
if necessary, but more likely 10-20 to top up supplies.

If any band in the South West (or nearby) wants any help with
recording, I would be happy to assist.

Alan MacRae
MD Sherborne Town
Band

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.