RE: National Championships

Interesting test piece.
Has anything like the "free-time" fanfare opening been encountered before in
the brass band world?

I liked the concept, i.e. three marching armies approaching from different
places to join at one point.
Didn't quite understand the bit in between though, when the fanfare groups
split out to play their own bit independently.
This gave me the impression of the armies being separated into a myriad of
tiny fighting groups [probably on the retreat].

Anyhow, agree with the comment on applauding pre-performance, although I'm
undecided whether it really makes a difference to the adjudicators.
If the least of us "amateur" judges can tell the top 5-6 renditions I'd
expect them to be smart enough to do the same without the aid of the
applause.

Has anyone seen feedback from the adjudicators as to how they judged the
opening free-time fanfare section?

I cannot remember which band(s) decided to play each player's individual
fanfare whilst rotating on the spot, but in our discussion we could not see
how this could benefit those bands as the adjudicators were listening to
phasing-up and down of each fanfare.

One final note, my bandmaster has adopted the concept of swinging the cornet
and trombone bells towards the audience to emphasize the fanfare contrast
parts. This follows his [first] attendance, in the audience, to the
nationals.  Being a SA band, a small group of us have decided to pray
fervently in advance for our Christmas concert attendees :-)

 Here's to an equally enjoyable day out next year!

Best regards,
Gareth Joice
Romford SA euph.

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk