Jazz 'n Brass

Weston Silver Band with Alastair Kay

Saturday, October 27, 2001

Last Saturday Weston Silver Band in Toronto was pleased to host Al Kay
as guest soloist in a concert labelled Jazz 'n Brass.

The concert was well received bt a good audience which always makes
those of us in the band feel good. It is difficult to write a critique
or review of a program that you played in but from where I sat in the
trombones, it was obvious  that Al Kay lived up to his reputation as one
of North America's top trombone players.

Al, lead trombone of the Boss Brass, trombone in the True North Brass, a
member of the pit for almost every show that ever played Toronto, a
teacher at Humber College and a soloist with many orchestras was
absolutely superb. He played his own arrangements of Laura, In a Mellow
Mood, and Memories of You as well as Colin Dewhurst's arrangement of
Brasilia and Gareth Wood's original composition, Dance Sequence. As
might be expected. the ballads were superb as was Dance Sequence. This
piece which I have not heard before, is extraordinarily demanding on
both band and soloist. Not only were the challenges met, but my spies in
the audience tell me that the band never covered up the soloist, despite
a very heavy accompaniment. This may be as much a tribute to Al's
strength as a player as it was to Weston's accompaniment but ti was good
to hear. Too heavy accompaniments are a common failing from almost all
the brass bands I hear.

Weston played Let's face the Music and Dance, Moses Get Down, The Music
of George Gershwin, Daniel and Sweet Georgia Brown in keeping with the
theme and Prelude for an Occasion just because it's a neat piece. Since
I was playing , I have to rely on those in the audience whose ears I
trust. Colonel Cliff Hunt, former Director of Music for the Canadian
Armed Forces and a member of the American Bandmasters' Association told
me he thought the band sounded better than the last time he neard us and
was especially pleased with our young front row cornets, our horns and
baritones/euphs. He also thought the trombones did well (just pulled my
arm patting myself on the back). Olive Bebbington, the wife of the late
Bill Bebbington, one of the finest trombone players I have ever sat
beside, loved Al Kay, was amazed that our three person bone section
could balance up with the band and said the trombones at times were
brilliant (ouch, hurt my arm again).

So all in all a good evening.

Next up for Weston is a Christmas concert on Saturday, December 8th with
vocal soloist Joyce Sullivan. Those of us old enough will remember Joyce
for her many TV appearances. Those not that old should come to find out
what we used to get from the CBC in the good old days.

Weston's concerts are held in the Central United Church on Weston Road
South of the 401 in Toronto. We'd like to see you there.

Dave.

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk