Re: Bass Clef parts

Robin and all . . . .

The issue of using treble clef for traditionally bass and tenor clef
instruments puzzles me as well.  It seems to be something that's outlived its
usefulness.  In our band, we have trombone and tuba players who've come up
through concert and orchestral music programs and have never before played
treble clef.  All their music needs to be transposed so they can read it more
easily.

The practice of using treble clef is used to facilitate the movement of
cornet players to the larger bore instruments.  However, it's a rare case in
which this is done anymore (tuba players seem to come from the euphonium
ranks if anywhere).  Perhaps it does more harm in chasing off new trombone
and tuba players to the brass band movement than it's worth.  Over the years,
we've had people (good players) show up for one or two rehearsals, be told
all their music will be in an unfamiliar clef, and leave, nevermore to be
seen.  How would cornet players feel if they showed up and were given bass
clef parts to play or transpose?

Another thing that has flummoxed me is the whole transposition process from
treble to bass clef.  Perhaps someone here can enlighten me.  When I took
piano class, I learned that 'middle C' was common for treble and bass clef.
True, it LOOKED different (one ledger line below the staff in treble and one
ledger line above in bass) but it was the same note.

I'm a flugelhorn player.  When I look at a 'low C' with one ledger line below
the treble clef staff, it looks like a C but sounds like a concert Bb.  If I
take that same note to bass clef, would still should sound like a concert Bb
but shouldn't it also look like a bass clef C (one ledger line above the bass
clef staff)?  Why is it that a treble clef Bb instrument (tenor trombone for
example) is "non-transposing" when playing in the treble clef but but an
extra step has to be figured in when rewriting the part to be read in bass
clef?

The subject of the bass trombone being the only brass band instrument to read
bass clef is another area of concern.  When I ask those who write and arrange
brass band music why this is the case, I'm met with blank stares or verbal
tap dancing that would make Fred Astair proud.  If the bass trombone is
written in bass clef, why not all the traditionally bass clef instruments?
Maybe it's because no cornet player in their right mind would ever want to
play a bass trombone.

I've never seen these issues adequately explained in layman's terms.  Is
there someplace where they are??

Thanks!

Dave Peto ~ Flugelhorn ~ The Sunshine Brass Band ~ Tamp, Florida

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk