Re: Bass Clef parts

As a trombone player and brass teacher I have no objection at all. There
seems to be an unwritten law that whatever clef you start players on, it
will turn out to be the wrong one for them!
Most wind band arrangements (certainly within the scope of "youth bands")
now seem to come with a universal set of parts for all clefs.
I suppose we could insist on keeping brass bands "pure", but that would be
an archaic and silly idea like blindfolding the adjudicator ... Oops!!! Why
not encourage players from other backgrounds to join the movement,
particularly in countries where they cannot understand the need for treble
clef trombone parts at all?
Since the arrival of computer based music engraving it has become so simple
to produce parts in any clef/transposition, so it's not a great problem for
the publishers anyway. And it means that bass trombone players can play
tenor when needed even if they can't read treble clef. I know most already
can though!

Gareth Dunley

Llanelli & District.

Virtuoso: someone who plays pieces of music of little artistic merit
faster and louder than anyone else.

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk