Re: Re: Bass Clef parts

--------------C135B14BBA8D16667622E076

Hi David....

I understand your position on this but I have to disagree on this one. Being
from America,
I can tell you that there are thousands of brass ensembles here in colleges and
high schools that would use the music if alternate parts were available.  The
majority of music educators will NOT go out of there way to simply re-copy the
parts or download the parts.  Most of them don't know anything about brass bands
and the easiest way to obtain music for their ensemble is to just order it from
the Robert King Music catalog.  You have to "win over" the music educator and
introduce the brass band idiom to them.

Most schools have a healthy music budget for buying music so that is not a
factor. If they want it.... they will buy it.  It has been my opinion for years,
that if there is ever going to be a brass band movement in America, it will only
happen through colleges, universities and high schools.  There are only 4
essential instruments that need to have bass clef parts which are the 2 tenor
trombones and the 2 tuba parts. Most American euphonium players read treble clef
and most french horn players are trained to read Eb horn parts.  If parts in F
were offered that would be a plus.  It's a wide-open market here for brass band
music.  I believe there are about 8,000 colleges and universities and 17,000
high schools in the United States.

I contacted a friend of mine about this at J. W. Pepper, the largest print music
distributor in the world.  Here is his reply.

"Mark:
I think you are right on the money as regards to the packaging and distribution
of brass band product for the U.S. market. The consumer here really expects the
music to be ready to play. Our company has spent many years meeting customer
expectations and marketing to educators. We are only now seeing acceptance of
e-commerce via the internet. While our e-Print site (www.e- printmusicstore.com)
of digitally distributed product is doing well we do not expect this to become a
major channel of distribution for several more years to come as it requires the
customer to configure and adapt to new business models.

The cost of bringing a piece to market is not significantly impacted by the
printing process. The major costs are in the prepress processes. The additional
paper used for the alternate parts represents a negligible impact on the total
cost and does not add enough weight to seriously affect shipping costs. Offering
this product line adapted to the U.S. market can
only have a positive impact on brass banding in America. To make this ensemble
accessible to educational and community organizations would do them a great
service. In my experience and opinion educators and performers will not pursue
this performance opportunity if they must adapt the product or obtain the
optional parts via computer technology."
Mike Purdy
Dir, R&D, J.W. Pepper

I hope this helps in this interesting and important discussion.
Regards,
Mark Freeh
(New York City)

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk