Re: Re: Bass Clef parts

Mark

Good to hear from you.

I can see that the benefits that this would bring in the US. and fully
understand your 'missionary' position here.  But if this was common
practice, my band's library of 1000 pieces would now have around 13,000
extra sheets of printed paper which had been bought and never used!   That's
roughly equivalent to 520 new sets of parts!  Multiply that by the number of
bands in the UK alone and were talking ... well, a lot of trees!  To me
that's unacceptable and would provide a major disincentive from buying a
piece.

If the number of parts in a set has so little bearing on the price, how come
concert band music costs about twice as much as an equivalent brass band
set?  I have De Haske's price list in front of me: an item at price code 27
will relieve you of 50.35 pounds for a BB set and 93.35 pounds for concert
band.  Same piece, more parts.  (That might have a serious impact on the
music we play: how many bands would pay that amount for a new test piece?).

I'm not saying the extra parts shouldn't be available, only that in my
opinion they should not form a part of the standard set.  If Ford can make
RH drive cars to sell in the UK I'm sure that UMP are capable of produce
'American brass band' sets, or packs of supplementary parts, if the market
exists.

I suspect it won't be too long before we're all downloading most of our
music anyway, in which case we'll most likely be choosing the make up of our
band sets from a wider range of options, including bass clef parts,
alternative transposing instruments and possibly even different keys.  The
technology is moving very quickly now.

Best wishes

David

--

wax-recording.com, simply the best, most cost-effective and least stressful
	route to recording an album.

eBay, the world's largest on-line market place, http://www.ebay.co.uk