Re: Prom 19th Aug "Babi Yar"

Nigel Horne" <njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Thanks for this,
Nigel ? what to do about bands on radio.  Consider the
fine band, Grimethorpe as in yours, on Friday last
LTTB even for half an hour about eight trivial pieces
(including a quick march at almost slow march speed),
WHY cannot radio 3 0r 2 do better than this on a
regular basis?

Anyway here?s another musical experience.  I visited
the evening Prom on 19th August played by the Chorus
And Orchestra Of The Mariinsky Theatre (Kirov Opera)
conducted by Valery Gergiev.  We prommed in the high
gallery (amongst others found how the Beeb do those
cosy interviews  in the interval) if anyone else goes
there remember some field glasses or a telescope would
have been most useful   Gergiev conducts without
stick, used his hands most imaginatively.
Unfortunately I didn?t notice it was on ?normal? TV
BBC 2 or I could have recorded it to look at the
details that way.  Here?s a little of the plot below.
Fine, precise brass playing including (bass) tuba
solos.

"The second of three Shostakovich-anniversary concerts
conducted by Valery Gergiev brings the composer's
harrowing choral symphony inspired by the Nazi-led
massacre of Jews at Babi Yar in September 1941 - a
work which implicitly also questioned the ethics of
the Soviet state. One of Russia's leading violinists
performs one of the greatest concertos of the Romantic
era, written at a time when its composer's native land
was still under tsarist Russian rule. Shostakovich -
Symphony No. 13 in B flat minor, Op. 113 (1962)

If you are not familiar with the history of Babi Yar,
do a web search, and all you will need to know will be
shown. Babi Yar is another horrific event in a
mind-boggling list of horrific events known
collectively as the holocaust.

This piece appears in Prom 48
1 Babiy Yar (Adagio ? Allegretto ? Adagio)
2 Humour (Allegretto)
3 In the Store (Adagio)
4 Fears (Largo)
5 Careers (Allegretto)
On 18 December 1962 the Great Hall of the Moscow
Conservatory was full to overflowing, the atmosphere
tense, for the premiere of Shostakovich?s 13th
Symphony .  . . .

--
-
-