principle bands, cancer publicity

(1) How can I find a list of the principal (top
section) bands and their changing titles over the
years, for someone who is interested but not a BB
aficionado?  Straightaway I can think of one that
hasn?t changed, Brighouse and Rastrick, and one of the
few that has never had sponsorship.  And possibly
Black Dyke, altho? the ?Mills? disappeared years ago,
and most of us have heard of the North American
difficulties with this name.  Just think how many
names Munn and Feltons has had, for example.

(2) I hope you won?t all mind a digression into the
medical, but since it became a personal issue to our
family, and to find a fairly impartial ?list? of
people to ask, who out there has heard of Ovarian
Cancer or better still knows anything about it, what
to watch out for, when, and what are possible
predisposing factors?

Several other cancers are the subject of regular
publicity and general screening (in the UK, on the
NHS).  Yet O.C is the fourth commonest cause of cancer
deaths in UK , more than 6000 women every year.

Few people seem to hear about O.C. until they contract
it, or have a dear relative with the disease or they
get inside a cancer ward. A large trial of ovarian
cancer screening has just begun, though the results
are not due out for another six years - see
www.medicine.manchester.ac.uk/abouttheschool/news/cancermilestone

(and every credit to ?Beryl?, also from the home of
CWS Manchester, and do they still exist?)

If it could be predicted in time, it is one of the
easiest cancers to avert ? unlike poor Nick Clarke of
the BBC who lost a leg and still died in a few months.
 But for most women it is only noticed so late, the
prognosis is very poor - a year or less.  Hence it is
sometimes called the ?silent killer?.

I grow less impressed with some charities who use this
in their name, haven't seen any publicity at all
except for ASKING for funds.  I have since learned how
many cancer charities there are: it makes you wonder
whether this is the best way (i.e. all those
"executives" and administration costs) . . .. .

I will explain further off list (or on it if
appropriate) if anyone is interested.  And for those
in Aus., USA, Canada etc it may be of interest to
compare notes.

Rgds, J Gray, Warwicks, UK

--
-