RE: Vaughn Williams: Toccata Marziale - Boosey and Hawkes Band

TP Music wrote:

> Yes, when serious composers like Vaughan Williams had begun
> writing for the British Military Band, main publishers like
> B&H began to use the term Concert Band to differentiate
> between the Military MARCHING Band and the Military Band in
> the concert environment.  I don't know whether they still do,
> but at one time, large bands like the Guards had a marching
> band and a concert band.

The term "concert band" is in almost universal use in the USA for a wind
band of brass, reeds and percussion, that plays in a concert environment.
The vast majority of American high schools* have a marching band and a
concert band, usually made up of more or less the same student players.  The
marching band "season" roughly coincides with the football** season,
beginning with the start of the school year in late August or early
September, and ending some time in November.  The rest of the school year,
from then until around the first of June, is devoted to concert band.

	* "High school" in the USA usually means grades 9-12
	  or 10-12; the students are approximately 14-18
	  years of age.

	** American football, as opposed to "soccer."

There are very few Brass Bands in the USA, and virtually none which are part
of the school music education programs.

The term "military band" as used in the UK is also widely misunderstood in
the USA.  When American school bands (concert bands including woodwinds)
play, for example the Holst suites in Eb or F "for Military Band," most
students and some directors assume that "Military Band" refers only to bands
that are part of a country's armed forces.

Thus, when an American sees lots of Google or Ask.com hits for "Toccata
Marziale" for "concert band," he knows immediately that the publications in
question will be for a band made up of brass, woodwinds and percussion.

Even in the world of band musicians, the United States and the UK are
indeed, as G.B.Shaw so aptly stated, "separated by a common language."

Jim O'Briant
Eb Bass, The Pacific Brass
Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony Orchestra
	(BBb, CC, Eb or F Tubas, and occasional Ophicleide)
Tuba, Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band
	(BBb Tuba)
Tuba, Mission Gold Jazz Band
	(BBb Tuba)