Re: Marching horns?

I guess the same way as other Brass Instrument players cope. They use a
Lyre to hold their music if required, some French Horns are probably
like my Bass Trom (Besson Sovereign) in that they do not 'come' equipped
with a Lyre Holder so they must take it to a shop to get one silver
soldered onto their instrument.
Others may be able to adapt by using another type of device wherein the
lyre is clamped on to the instrument.
My trombone still does not have the lyre holder thus I use a lyre that
clamps on to the bell. Does however get a little out of balance when you
clamp a tune book or march book into the lyre.
Really used to be fun when I played my G Trombone and had this lyre that
clamped on to the leadpiece and stuck out about 6 inches from my
mouthpiece. Became a problem however when I had to use reading glasses
instead of my bi-focals as the music is about 'forehead height' and
bi-focals are for looking down to see what you are reading.
Of course the youngsters in competing marching bands usually all learn
their music so they don't rely on the written parts when marching.
See if you can grab ahold of a DVD or Video of one of the Guards bands
or The RAF band - and you may be able to see what they do whey they march.
Regards
L J
Vancouver BC
Canada