Concert Bands

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C72516.BCC8E860

Hi Nigel - Everyone.

Firstly may I wish you and your families and fellow Bandsmen a Very =
Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year 2007.

Now to the business at hand. Here in Australia (I think) A Band that has =
everything except strings here is known as a Concert Band, however some =
concert bands also have a double Bass; the player often reads the =
bassoon part and  a minority have a bass guitar on sit down jobs.

Unfortunately brass bands are a dying breed now in Australia and in =
South Australia; already two B brands has disbanded in the past year due =
mainly to the lack of brass players, and in quite a few bands the ranks =
are thinned out. With the past CBS Christmas Pageant there was only 2 =
brass bands that took the march and even then  one band had to " borrow" =
players to make up the 25 musicians plus percussion. The bulk of the =
music played at this march were played by military and police bands-and =
you guessed it, they were marching concert bands.

Years ago, in said pageant there were 9 brass bands that took part in =
the march, and now there was only two and even then one band was "iffy" =
due to the lack of their own members.

I don't know about Britain and othe countries throughout the world, =
however here in South Australia there is a heavy emphasis on school =
orchestral playing, with most emphasis going on violin and cello. Years =
ago when I did a refresher course on orchestral writing, I had to more =
or less beg my lecturer in helping write for brass band. Even then for =
an accomplished musicologist, he wasn't very clued up about brass band =
writing either- in fact he had never heard of the Eb Tenor Horn, so one =
can see the problem for brass band writing or even for brass banding in =
general.

I noticed that there is rarely a brass band at the Edinborough Tattoo =
(as shown on tv here), again heavy emphasis on the concert band format =
was on show.  I have to admit the music was brilliant :)

Lastly I must plead ignorance here. Would some kind person tell me the =
make up of the instrumentation that make up a concert band please.

Again Merry Christmas to Everyone

Richard  South Australia

--
-