Re: Concert Bands

Richard,
Lastly I must plead ignorance here. Would some kind person tell me the
make up of the instrumentation that make up a concert band please.

Unlike a brass band, but in common with orchestral writing, concert bands are less standard.

The following is therefore a guide only e.g. much music doesn't have a 4th clarinet or 2nd alto sax, but is the instrumentation I suggest when writing for concert bands. As with a brass band, some parts "double up".

3 flutes (3rd also piccolo)
oboe
2 bassoons
eb clarinet
4 clarinets (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
bass clarinet
2 alto sax
tenor sax
baritone sax
3 trumpets
4 horns
3 trombones (two tenor one bass)
euphonium
tuba (usually what we'd call an Eb bass)
string bass (often reads off the tuba part)
percussion

My score for "Hymn Without Words" uses just about the largest forces you'll see in any concert band writing, e.g. that has a 2nd oboe part, the player of which should double on cor anglais.

You can download a blank manuscript page for concert bands from the BB portal if you wish to look further.

Again Merry Christmas to Everyone

And you.

Richard  South Australia

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK.  ICQ#20252325

--
-
-