Re: Recommended Cornet

HI, Jeff!

My wife, Laura, and I both played old Getzen Eterna Bb cornets when we played in the Illinois Brass Band, as well as the Chicago Brass Band.  We believe that the sound quality (with an appropriate mouthpiece (we favored Wick 2B for front row playing) was excellent, and the prices are right.  Old Getzens that we favor are those old enough to have a "spit valve" as opposed to the Amado water key.  These older ones are from the 1960s.

That said, we have also been >very< impressed with the Schilke cornets we've played.  I own and played a Schilke Eb Soprano cornet for the last few years of my tenure with the Chicago Brass Band, and thought it superior to any other Sops I've tried.

Blackburn also makes some cornets, and are highly respected.  The one I played in the vendor's area at NABBA many years ago was sweet, but too rich for my blood (then or now! ;-) ).

We (Laura and myself) don't care for the Bessons that we get here in the USA.  A couple we played in the UK were good, however.  ('nuff said?)

Chac'un a son goût!

Hope this was helpful!!

Guy Clark
South Bay Brass
http://www.southbaybrass.com/
Los Gatos, CA

Jeffrey Blair <jdblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I need to purchase a cornet and would like to know what the "cornet of choice" is for most brass bands.  I'm sure one of the first mentioned will be the Besson Sovereign.   A friend recently received a new Sovereign and the intonation was terrible.  He sent the horn back.

I am in the US and wonder what experience people have with the Getzen cornets?  Other brands and models?  I play a Schilke S42 trumpet and hope to get a cornet of similar quality.

I am not a professional, just a better than average amateur.  I would like to play a very good cornet.  Thank you for your recommendations.

Jeff Blair
Texas, USA